& SMOKE DAMAGE
fire loss is a very complex situation because of the unique behavior of
smoke. Smoke residue and standing water, or even humidity, can significantly
harm your belongings. To minimize your loss, you need to know what to
do from the start.
action can lower overall cost, as well as save precious items that might
otherwise be lost. Morocco Restoration & Construction
and their team of specialists will inspect your property to determine
the degree of damage and the appropriate remedies.
IICRC recommends the following tips on what to
do in the aftermath of a home fire.
your insurance company immediately. It is your responsibility
to begin loss mitigation, including steps to prevent the damage from
getting worse. Take inventory of damaged goods before discarding anything
and save receipts for money spent relating to the fire loss.
falling structural components. Although fire authorities
may allow you to enter the house, the area still could be hazardous.
Look for structural damage that will need repair, like charred beams
and sagging ceilings.
away from electrical shock hazards. Check for exposed wiring.
Also, be careful of damage inside walls and electrical lines not normally
people with allergies out of the home. People with severe
allergies or respiratory problems should stay out of the area until
initial cleanup is complete. Weather permitting; ventilate the home
to remove soot residues.
down durable surfaces. Smoke residues combine with humidity
to form acids that can stain grout, paint, bath fixtures, kitchen counter
tops and many appliances. Immediate clean up of durable surfaces with
household cleaners can dramatically limit your loss.
a professional. The IICRC recommends
hiring a certified professional, such as Morocco Restoration
& Construction, to provide advice and repair damage
to your home after a fire. Fire restoration experts can help you get
your home and furnishings back to a "pre-loss" condition.